Thursday, October 14, 2010

Some Information about Gestational Diabeties to Pregnant women


Gestational Diabeties is more frequently can be seen in Asian ( Indian) women during pregnancy time. I am here sharing the information what I have received from my Gynae. Usually the GD test asked to take during 24 th and 28 th week of pregnancy, because the pregnancy hormones drastically change during this period. For finding the GD, Gynae will ask to take GTT ( Glucose tolerance test during pregnancy) it will take 3 hrs to get 4 readings of blood sugar levels. Even if it 1 point more than the normal blood sugar level, they will put the pregnant women in Diet. This GD is not going to be last long in your body, it will disappear immediately once the women give birth to baby. But, for some women there is a chance to be stay for some time and for that she needs to do lot of diet and exercises.

Here, My Gynae says normally they can't see this GD in black n white pregnant women because of their eating lifestyle. They are taking more fibre rich foods than starchy food. But, in our Indian women surely they are facing GD during their pregnancy because of our Food Style. Our staple food, White rice and potato are easily convertable to Glucose in our body faster than the Chocolate bar.

When my Gynae came to know am from India, from the initial stage itself he started to explain about this things. Now before my testing, he asked me to take the precautionary steps in my Diet and my exercise to reduce the blood sugar level in my pregnancy.

He also explained, this GD will vanish from the body immediately after the delivery. But, for some women it may stays for short period of time and then it will change to Diabetic and after a short while there is a chance for getting heart problems. So, this Diabeties is closely related to Heart disease, those who are having heart disease also having the chances to get Diabeties.

The diet which we are following for diabeties is also chance to reduce heart disease. Because, for heart disease the main issue in the food intake is cholestrol content this can easily reduce by having the foods for diabeties like Brown bread and brown rice. In India ( south India), our relations use to give sweets and savouries ( palagaaram during 7th month of pregnancy) given to pregnant women during her 7th month of pregnancy. That's maybe good for some women but for some women it may create problem coz of GD. Before, our elders time they use to work a lot during pregnant time but nowadays we don't get a chance to do even a small work. Here, Doctors are recommending to take complete rest not to do heavy work but, they are forcing to go for a brisk walk and do some physical exercise.

The diet for GD pregnant women to have complete fibre rich foods and the most recommending foods are :

1.Whole wheat bread
2.Whole wheat Spaghetti
3.Brown rice
4.Rye Bread
5.Barley
6.Orange
7.Apple
8.Pears
9.Raspberries
10.Strawberries
11.Meat/Poultry/ Salmon fish
12.Lot of vegetables (except root veggies/beets)

From the above fibre rich foods esp Barley got high fibre content next to it is Rye Bread.

The diet am following are:

1.2 slices of whole wheat bread with omlet and a glass of skimmed milk without sugar 
2. Oats or cracked wheat or bulgar wheat porridge with buttermilk with less salt
3. 4 idlies with some chutney ( avoid coconut)
4. 3 small whole wheat rotis with some curry.
5. Sometimes bulgar wheat uppuma.
6.Brown rice instead of white rice ( try to mix little bit wild rice)
7.No root veggies
8.Orange, Apple, Pears
9.Walnuts
10.Salmon
11.Lot of veggies like okra, karela and greens.
12.Sprouts
13.Lot of water.
14.Try to avoid junk foods and carbonated drinks and packed juices.

There are 2 traditional home remedies for this sugar problem. One is with Fenugreek seeds/vendhayam/methi seeds and the other one is Bitter gourd/Karela/Paavakkai.

1.Fenugreek seeds can be eaten in many ways like soaking overnight and in the morning drinking the water gives good result. The soaked seeds can be grind it nicely and apply it for your hair, it's like natural conditioner.
2.And also can have it in this way, dry roast the methi seeds in the low fire pan and make it into coarse powder have it 2 teasppon daily in empty stomach in early morning.
3.Can also have it in raw form, just have 2 teaspoon of methi seeds and chew it nicely and drink lot of water.
4.Methi seeds is not only home remedy for diabeties also useful to reduce the cholestrol and also cool the body during summer time.
5.We are all know, if we have bittergourd juice good result for diabeties.

The pregnant womens, those who are having GD can easily reduce their blood sugar levels just by taking precautionary steps in their diet and exercise. During my first pre-natal visit to the Doctor, he was explaining from that point of time. At that time, I was feeling afraid why he is scaring me by telling all these things without taking any tests but, he said he was not making me to afraid just giving me an awareness and giving an easy ways to prevent the high risk in pregnancy. Hope, these small piece of information about GD in pregnancy helpful for you friends. You can also share some views and points regarding this Information.

39 comments:

  1. Useful info sathya,thanks for sharing....take good rest & have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Sathya...
    take care dear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Satya,

    I developed gestational diabetes around 28 weeks of pregnancy. They are closely watching because baby become big due to mother's sugar level. I controlled with diet. I ate small meals and checked glucose level every two hours. Eat more salad and fruit so that you won't hungry and not eat to much carbohydrates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very informative post Sathya...

    For this pregnancy diabetes, its best to avoid all veg that grows under the ground and healthy all those above..!

    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  5. helpful information for would be mothers..
    Thanks for sharing!
    Take Care Sathya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very informative post!

    Take care buddy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow wat a informative post..thanks for sharing many important informative about gestational diabetes, will definitely ask my SIL to read this, coz she is also pregnant for her first baby..take care dear..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow very nice information.Even my doctor used to say this.Thanx for sharing the information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Sathya..Very informative..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I have tweeted it in mine @ twitter.com/womenwisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,

    Great post!!

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com
    www.lovelypriyanka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good post and it reminded me of my gestational period.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi dear..very informative n comprehensive post..really helpful for soon to be moms..
    Take care!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing info sathya ,take good care dudette and stay happy .

    http://sanscurryhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all ur comments on GD post, sure it will be useful for some pregnant women to be in safer side during their pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Satya, I am glad that you are doing everything in your power to eat as healthy as you can. It will surely help you and your baby in the long term.

    One question for you though; along with the GD test, did they also do a test for Down Syndrome (DS) for the fetus? I am trying to gather as much info as possible, that's why I am asking. I just wanted to know at what stage of pregnancy do they test for DS.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very informative thanks for sharing with all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. first time here. Nice informative post.
    Thanks.

    Your recipes all are awesome with pictures.
    www.vijisvegkitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. excellent information, useful to all, thanks for sharing. take care of your health sathya

    ReplyDelete
  20. HI, i came to know about your blog through indi blogger. I live in Roodepoort and glad that i found your space.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi,
    I am having GD, I am very scared please let me know how to use meethi seeds to cure it? How much quantity of meethi seeds we should soak daily night? and how to take in the morning.
    Kindly help me.
    Thanks,
    Sanjeevani

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hai Sanjeevani,

    Congratulations. Don't worry abt GD in ur pregnancy dear, only if u will be in Strict diet then u dont need to worry at all. You can soak 1 tbsp of methi seeds before night n drink that water dear n also lightly dry roast the methi seeds n make it coarse powder hv it in empty stomach. I was having during my third trimester time and also i was having brown rice n brown bread for my bfast n for my lunch. Some will tell methi seeds will induce labour like that but for GD women no worry to hv it in limited portion.

    Enjoy ur pregnancy dear, hv brown rice n brown bread good for GD.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very informative post..i will pass this to my cousin who is facing this GD.
    Can you also do a post for constipation during pregnancy...my cousin is facing this problem also.

    ReplyDelete
  24. First time here.. neat and wonderful blog !!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is one informative post...:) By the way,r u a doctor? Just curious...
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello dearie...eppadi irukkinga ma?

    Nalla seithi kaage waiting ma. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. great article very informative
    im sure to show it to my husband too.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My brother suggested I might like this blog. He was entirely right.

    This post actually made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for
    this information! Thanks!
    My website ... Fat Loss Factor Cleanse

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi,

    I am in week 7 and having fenugreek seed powder for the last two weeks. I read this post and other sites. I am wondering that in others sites mentioned that in early pregnancy this seed should be avoided. I am feeling sad. Please kindly advice me. Waiting for your reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations for your pregnancy, Gayathri.

      I was having GD in my pregnancy. I have started to have the fenugreek seeds from my 2nd trimester. I have also read about fenugreek seeds side effects in pregnancy in many sites. I dont know how far that is true. Let us take into consideration, try to avoid the fenugreek in first trimester, now you are in early pregnancy. So, try to not eat the fenugreek for few days till first trimester. Then you can consult with your doctor and have it.

      I was asking about fenugreek seeds in pregnancy with my gynae here(Johannesburg), but they have no idea about the side effects about whatever we read from the sites. My gynae said, it depends upon the place we are living. In India, we know the climate matters and our elders do have some traditional home remedies.

      I was having the fenugreek powder in my pregnancy time. My sugar level sometimes shootup, so I was in the situation to have the fenugreek powder.

      My suggesttion, try to not eat fenugreek powder now in early pregnancy time and also in end of trimester time.

      Delete
  32. Thanks Sathya... I have GD. I was searching for some sites with suggestions on Indian food. I am lucky to have found this page. You had mentioned about avoiding underground vegetables. Does this include Onion also? Also I read in another site that Carrots can be taken during GD and they are good. What are your thoughts on this?

    ReplyDelete
  33. HI! thanks for the appreciation. what kind of assistance you need from me?.

    ReplyDelete