Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tamil New year Dinner with Mango Pachadi

Yesterday, 14th April was our Tamil New Year. We celebrated in traditional way of doing "Kani Paarthal" in the morning and in the evening after my Hubby came from the work we have done our pooja and had our dinner with Traditional food recipes Idli, Sambar, Chutney, Vadai n Payasam, Mango Pachadi and fruits. In my Mom's place, they celebrated well the New Year in traditional way.

My amma cooked lot of traditional food recipes for their lunch as i said the recipes on my yesterday's post. It made me mouthwatering, when i was hearing the recipes name from my amma yesterday telling over phone. I usually make paruppu vadai , cos my Hubby likes it very much than medhu vadai. But, I like Methu Vadai and Thayir/Dahi Vadai and all kinds of vadais esp my amma's aama vadai it taste good n crispy n yummy. I never tried "aama vadai" myself , i tasted only my amma making aama vadai that will taste really good with lot of taste she is having good hand in aama vadai.

My amma is always good in cooking traditional food recipes, i like all her foods if my amma make urundai ( make balls and feed us) or feeding ( ootti vidarathu) the food it will taste soooo good i will have lot of food while having like that always taste like Amrutham for me. Whenever i visit India or somebody coming from India , i always ask my amma to make murukku for me and to my Hubby everybody can buy from shop it's soo cheap and no hard work but can't compare with my amma's murukku with lot of effort she puts n making for us and with affection. My Hubby likes my amma's murukku very much, she makes very crispy it will melts like mysore paak.

In my MIL' home they have done the prayer made Sweet and traditional food for dinner. Today am gonna post my Sago n Vermicelli Payasam, Paruppu Vadai and MIL's Idli n Sambar, Semiya Payasam, Mango Pachadi. Me n My Hubby likes Mango Pachadi from my MIL's cooking, she cooks soo simple but it will taste good with correct sweet. Today, i have posted only Paal Payasam later will post all the below recipes one by one soon.

Idli, Sambar, Coconut Chutney, Kara Chutney and Idli Podi


Mangai Pachadi




Semiya and Sago Paal Payasam


My MIL's Semiya n Sago Payasam



Semiya and Sago Paal Payasam:

Ingredients:

1.Vermicelli - 2 cups
2.Sago - 1/2 cup
3.Full Cream Fresh Milk - 200 ml
4.Condensed Milk - 3 tbsp
5.White Sugar - 1/2 cup
6.Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
7.Cashew nuts - 3 whole nuts
8.Ghee - approx 1-2tbsp
9.Raisins/Sultanas/Dried grapes - 1 tbsp

Preparation:

1.Heat 2tsp of ghee in the pot, roast the vermicelli and sago to light golden brown in medium flame.
2.After that add 1 cup of hot water to the vermicelli n sago to cook nicely.
3.Cook it in medium flame till it half done, then pour the milk and leave it to boil.
4.After the milk gives nice boil add sugar, leave it to cook in medium flame for 5 mts.
5.Then add the condensed milk and cardamom powder.
6.Now heat the ghee in separate pot and fry the cashew nuts and then add the raisins to fry.
7.Pour the ghee mixture on top of the Paal Payasam.
8.I didn't add much ghee n cashew nuts n raisins to my Payasam, cos of my Hubby's diet.
9.Now the sweeet n creamy Semiya n Sago Paal Payasam is ready to serve hot with Vadais, make sure in one hand keep masala vadai and in another hand keep the payasam cup sip payasam n then have vadai,,wooooowww!!! it taste divine...I like to have vada n payasam like this.

I am Passing my Yummyy Sweet Creamy Payasam to Priya's "CWS - Cooking with Seeds Event" and also to Shama's "Kheer Festival".

38 comments:

  1. WOW!! Yum Yum..Great dishes..Glad you enjoyed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super delicious spread again Sathya, ini intha pakkam saapidama varakudathu'nu irruken..verum vayathoda vantha neegha pasiya undu pannura madhriye dishes poduringa..Wish i could finish that plate of idli with delicious side dishes rite now...yummm!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God. Someone pls buy something for me to eat. I am feeling very hungry. Very nice. Hope u enjoyed the feast. I wish I could come these to have some of ur lovely preparations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pass that sago payasam to me..Looks lovely and delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. so many delicious n tempting treats.. am coming there Sathya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. woow!!!!!all dishes looks delicious and yummy....great celebration with lot of dishes....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!!Lovely spread sathya, great to know that you had a nice time. Payasam looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi sathya, how are you doing...so sorry couldnt reply as the power went twice when i was commenting...hope you enjoyed your day welcoming the new year, hope it brings in lots of happiness and good luck, wow u made so many yummy dishes, felt like having it now yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  9. i dont celebrate it sathya, but had a nice time seeing all your lovely dishes and the way u have explained abt the festival...Nice one...its so nice knowing all these which i didnt know through you..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a lovely spread! Wish I cud get that plate now. drool:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow!!!!!all dishes looks delicious and yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm that's like a round up for an event sathya.All the dishes are so tempting n inviting.I like madhu vada n thayir vada a lot as well.

    Semiya n sago payasam appears to be yummylicious .
    Fab pics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hmm looks so mouth-watering and glad to know that u guys had a wonderful New Yr..will post mine soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh outing, yesterday didnt go out anywhere as i wasnt feeling well...again the power went ,thats y replied so late, its so irritating...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now am feeling fine, yesterday weather was cool but still there was no power, and over that i had stomatch ache so whole day was a waste...today also couldnt go out, now few relatives will be coming so was waiting for them...

    ReplyDelete
  16. u too take care sathya, have a wonderful evening, will be online tommorrow so we will chat nicely...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Sathya, all the dishes look too inviting..I want that plate right now..

    Btw, yummy payasams..

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Presentation is very good. I like the oil well in Idli podi. Payasam looks perfect. Vadai is snack time favorite of us.
    Riya's one of the favorite dish is Managai pachadi. She started liking it when her Grandma made it for her last year. Now i make it for her frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy new year! It is really abeautiful treat for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the mango pachadi! The dinner plate sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice thali.Wish you a very Happy NewYear.

    ReplyDelete
  22. yummylicious spread..glad that you had a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy New Year to you - the spread looks very good! Glad you had fun celebrating the day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sathya,

    Lot of yummy dishes, i wish i could be your neigbour. Happy tamil new year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow dear! such a tempting and fabulous spread...can I come over :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice variety payasam dear. Never tried mixing sago with semiyan.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sathya, Love to know how u njoyed and what kind of delectable dishes u have....today we r going to celebrated our new yr day...have a wonderful day dear....

    ReplyDelete
  28. cute click and a tempting dish. Dinner plate looks great

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good to know you had a great day..We too had a nice time today...

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    ReplyDelete
  30. sHope u hd a wonderful newyear celebration..All the dishes look so yummy..
    The semiya payasam looks so delicious yarr.so creamy.
    What u said is right we always miss our amma's food.what to do whenever we go native we can have the delicious food thats the only way yarr..
    Once more Our New year wishes for u and your family

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hope u had a nice time on Tamil newyear..I never knew that people in Tamlnadu too celebrate newyear like Vishu by arranging Kani.Read ur previos post too.kani is almost the same everywhere I think:)U mentioned that u go to Guruvayoor on Vishu..Which is ur place back home??

    ReplyDelete
  32. why dont u invite me for lunch???
    Look tempting,really a feast to the eyes.
    Check out my blog

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for all ur lovely comments dears...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Belated Tamizh New Year wishes, Sathya. Good to know that you guys celebrated in a traditional way. Nice to read your anecdote' its like almost visiting your family in person:)have a great day:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. good sadya!!! wish i was there to share it:)

    ReplyDelete