Tuesday, June 10, 2008


Cardamom finds extensive use in Scandinavian and Indian cuisine. It is sweet and aromatic and is very pleasant It is found in Asian countries and also Australia depending on the type. It is one of the most expensive spice after saffron and vanilla. Malabar and the Gautamala varieties of the cardamom are the major commercial varieties.
Indian Name: Elaichi, Botanical Name: Elettaria cardamomum, Family Name: Zingiberaceae, Parts Used: Fruit, Habitat: East Asian Countries.
It is cultivated and grown in the forests of the western ghats in Southern India, where it grows wild. Indian Cardamom is more aromatic and hence in huge demand. The southern states of Kerala, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu are the major growing areas in India. Kerala accounts for nearly 70% of the total production. India consumed almost 90% of the spice production and the remaining 10% is exported to countries including Saudi Arabia, Japan etc.
It is used as a stimulant, for indigestion and flatulence. It is also sometimes considered to be an aphrodisiac in traditional systems of medicine.
It is widely used in flavoring drinks including milk shakes, tea.The spice is also used for aroma and flavoring of a variety of food products including biscuits, ice cream and milk shake powders, cakes, confectionery, candies etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment